How to use the Zakat Calculator?
Our Zakat Calculator uses grams the weight metrics for gold and silver. Hence you need to do some pre-calculations before entering your data as below:
- Please enter the amount of gold and silver you have in grams.
- Below are some of the standard weights for common bullions and dinar dirham coins:
- Select your preferred currency.
- Your zakat value will be reflected in the currency you chose.
WHAT IS ZAKAT?
Zakāt (Arabic: زكاة, “that which purifies”) is a form of obligatory alms-giving and religious tax in Islam. It is based on income and the value of all of one’s possessions.
It is customarily 2.5% of a Muslim’s total income, savings and wealth above a minimum amount known as nisab, but Islamic scholars differ on how much nisab is and other aspects of zakat. The collected amount is paid according to the verse who describe the way of the charity in the Qur’an.
WHY SHOULD WE PAY ZAKAT FOR SILVER AND GOLD?
Zakat represents one of the five foundation pillars of Islam, hence it is an obligation for every Muslims to pay off zakat from their assets. Since silver and gold (dinar and dirham included) are listed as assets, we are obligated to pay zakat for them as well.
TO WHOM CAN WE PAY ZAKAT TO?
There are eight groups of people on whom Zakat should be spent, as mentioned in the Quran:
- Fuqaraa: Those who own property in excess of basic necessities but below the value of Nisab.
- Masakeen: Persons of extreme poverty who possess no wealth whatsoever.
- Aamileen: (Zakat collector) Those persons who are appointed by an Islamic Head of State or Government to collect Zakat. It is not necessary that this be a needy person.
- Muallafatul Quloob: Those poor and needy persons who are given Zakat with the intentions of solidifying their hearts because they maybe recently converted to Islam or to bring them closer to Islam.
- Ar-Riqaab: slaves whose masters have agreed to set them free on a payment of a fixed amount. Zakat may be used to purchase their freedom.
- Ibnus-Sabeel: A traveler, who, whilst wealthy at his residence, is stranded and in need of financial assistance.
- Al Ghaarimeen: A person whose debts exceeds his assets and his net assets (after deducting his liabilities) is below the Nisab limit. To determine whether a person qualifies, his basic necessities of life (house, furniture, clothes, vehicle, etc.) will not be taken into account. It is conditional that the debts were not created for any un-Islamic or sinful purpose.
- Fi Sabeelillah: Those who are away from home in the path of Allah. Those in Jihaad, those seeking knowledge or a stranded Haji may be assist with Zakat if they are in need.
WHO CREATED THIS ZAKAT CALCULATOR?
SOCIAL FOUNDATIONS COLLECTING ZAKAT ONLINE (GLOBAL)
Some of the social foundations that collects zakat online:
- Islamic Relief (Singapore) | Pay Zakat here
- Islamic Human Rights Commission (UK) | Pay Zakat here
- Hidaya Foundation (US) | Pay Zakat here
- Muslim Aid (UK) | Pay Zakat here
There are many other unlisted social foundations in your area that have invested their time and energy in administering zakat. Support their cause by paying zakat as well as general donations whenever you can afford to.
If you know an organisation that collects zakat online that you feel should be featured in this page, please let us know about them so we can create awareness about their efforts too.